Transfer Course Equivalencies

When you transfer coursework to UNM
You should know that accepted transfer credits do not automatically transfer as course equivalents. To have courses evaluated as transfer equivalents you must visit each relevant department.

In cases of courses that are less than 15 years old, many departments have access to a college database that will provide the course descriptions. If the courses are older than 15 years, then it is imperative that you provide a course description from the catalog for the advisor making the course evaluation.

Course equivalencies are particularly important in the Department of Physics & Astronomy
To receive credit for transfer courses, or to use such courses as prerequisites, the Coordinator of Program Advisement must evaluate each Astronomy, Astrophysics, or Physics course. When an equivalency has been approved, an evaluation is sent to Transfer Admissions and the prerequisite hold is lifted.

It is important that Physics and Astrophysics majors understand that the Department will not accept credits that were earned more than five (5) years in the past as prerequisites for any of our courses. Courses that were taken more than ten (10) years in the past will not be accepted at all toward a major program except for those cases involving the Returning Student Graduation Program(

The transfer link at the top of this page currently only lists courses that we have evaluated in the Department. It is by no means a comprehensive list, and if the school or a course that you wish to transfer is not on the list you must visit us here at the Department. Remember, the only courses that automatically receive equivalencies are those in the database - which is the same database that Transfer Admissions uses - or involve courses from a college or university in New Mexico with an articulation agreement with UNM.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact